It is possible to properly maintain and manage your home for the New Year using a home maintenance checklist. It can help you to manage by breaking down all of the necessary tasks into manageable chunks.
When you do small chunks at a time, it will all add up to a big result in the end. So, it is best that you take some time every week to work on your home’s maintenance and all you need is about two hours weekly. Alternatively, you can work on your home a couple of days every year or simply one evening per month.
There are some things you will need professional help with, and you might want to look into electrostatic cleaning UK.
We will now show you our quick and simple checklist that you can follow:
The tasks that you do every week will be dependent on your particular home and its features. Some of the most common tasks you may have to undergo include:
- Cleaning your carpets by thoroughly vacuuming them. If you have hardwood instead of carpets, you can mop them.
- Maintain the bathrooms by doing the following tasks:
- Getting rid of hair and other debris from the drains. This is easy to do with a Zip It tool.
- If there is damaged tile grout, repair it.
- Clean appliances in your home. For example, you can clean your microwave, fridge, dishwasher, washing machine etc. You can easily complete these tasks by doing one major appliance per week.
When it comes to monthly maintenance, you should attack the tasks that should be done regularly but you can’t seem to get around to doing. All you need is an afternoon for each task:
- Polish all of the wood furniture in the home. This also includes dusting and cleaning any light fixtures as well as baseboards.
- Check your fire extinguisher as well as the smoke detector. Make sure they are fully functional and have working batteries.
- Check the oven hood and filter and clean them if necessary.
- Look at the exterior of your home and identify any issues such as nests, loose roof shingles, broken windows, trees that have become overgrown etc. Once you have identified these issues, fix them.
- Check and clean or replace the boiler filter. This is an important task as it will help to reduce your electricity bills.
Lastly, we will look at the large tasks that only need to be done once every year.
- Clean out the guttering around your home. You should remove any overgrown trees or plants and fix any holes that pests use to get into your home.
- Makeover at least one room. This is a great way to refresh your living space and make it more appealing. You can do things such as paint it another colour, change the curtains, add new accessories, rearrange the furniture, change the furniture etc. If you only do one room every year then your home will have a completely new look in only a few years.
- Clean out your basement, garage or attic if you have one. No one enjoys this particular task, however, it is necessary and you may even find cool items that you’ve completely forgotten about. You can either use them, sell or give them away.
- Completely clean your windows around your home as well as thoroughly clean any glass.